The USS Abraham Lincoln is heading to the US after a record-breaking nine-month deployment riddled with assorted issues
The USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier is now heading home from its extended deployment, multiple US media outlets reported on Thursday, citing unnamed officials.
The carrier’s deployment began in late November last year and was originally scheduled to end in May, but it was repeatedly pushed well beyond the deadline due to its participation in the US-Israeli aggression against Iran. The vessel now holds a modern US Navy record for the longest consecutive, uninterrupted time at sea with roughly 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard, spending more than 260 days without a port call.
The deployment has been reportedly riddled with assorted troubles, ranging from food and basic supply shortages and prolonged lack of hot and potable water to ever-clogged toilets and broken morale and mental health issues, including multiple apparent attempts by crewmembers to jump overboard.
The Navy has not confirmed such reports, with the acting Secretary Hung Cao only admitting last week the vessel has experienced a “small number of mental health cases,” which had been purportedly “treated with no loss of life.”
The allegations surrounding the protracted deployment of the carrier have prompted calls for the dismissal of Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, who had publicly disputed the reports on the conditions aboard the carrier, dismissing the sailors’ accounts as “completely misrepresented.” Last week, for instance, US Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Hegseth “must be fired immediately” over the USS Abraham Lincoln situation.
“When Pete Hegseth was nominated, everyone knew he was completely incompetent. Now our brave sailors are paying the price in a horrific and unfathomable way,” the Democratic leader has said.