US-Iran talks set to resume amid rising tensions

Feb 16, 2026 - 23:49
 0  0
US-Iran talks set to resume amid rising tensions

Tehran says it is looking “to achieve a fair and equitable deal” over its nuclear program and will not submit to threats

Iran and the US are set to resume talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program as Washington steps up its military posture in the region and Tehran signals it will not bow to pressure.

The negotiations, due to take place in Geneva on Tuesday, mark the second round of contacts this month after an initial meeting in Oman that both sides described as a “good start.”

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who arrived in Switzerland with a high-level diplomatic and technical delegation, wrote on X that he came “to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” adding: “What is not on the table: submission before threats.”

Washington is seeking to pressure Iran into accepting a new nuclear deal, after US President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the 2015 agreement (JCPOA) during his first term and reimposed sanctions. Tehran maintains its nuclear program is peaceful despite US accusations of alleged weapons development and says it will not agree to Washington’s demands for zero nuclear enrichment.

Read more
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Economic Diplomacy Hamid Ghanbari
US should benefit financially for any deal to last – Iran

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hamid Ghanbari has said any new accord should offer economic incentives to the US to ensure its durability. Discussions so far have covered potential cooperation in oil and gas extraction, mining and aircraft purchases, he said, arguing that the JCPOA failed in part because it did not provide such benefits to Washington.

Tensions have run high since the US bombed Iranian nuclear facilities last June. Washington has since deployed additional naval and air assets, including a second aircraft carrier, to the region. In response, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has launched military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil chokepoint and has warned it could close the waterway.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Monday that any understanding with Tehran would be difficult to reach. Trump has described regime change in Tehran as “the best thing that could happen.” Moscow has warned that the standoff is “potentially explosive” and has urged a peaceful settlement.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0